Protecting and safeguarding your data is essential for both computers at home as well as at the office. There are different ways available for windows to secure your data by taking a data backup for your windows.
The built in backup and restore options available on your windows help you to take a back up of your data to prevent the loss of important or valuable information. Software’s are also available now using which you can take a back up of your files in a single click.
Taking a data backup for windows is essential to overcome Hardware failures, virus attacks, Natural disasters and human errors. A full system back up becomes essential to protect all your personal and business files.
Backup and Restore
- Go to the control panel and choose the system and maintenance option.
- Now select the backup and restore option.
- Right click start button > control panel > System and Maintenance >Back up and Restore.
- If you have never used a back up before and you have newly installed your system, choose the Back up now option to create a manual back up of your data.
- You can now use the browse for files or browse for folders option to search the files, which you have taken a back up.
To restore files from a backup
If you are a windows 8 user, you can select the files or folders you want to restore by clicking the check box that appears next to the folder or filename.
If you are windows 7user, you have three options to search for the files or folders you want to restore.
- Search for files
- Browse for files
- Browse for folders
Windows 8 will put the files back to the original location. Try renaming the file, if you have files already with the same name.
Software programs to take a back up
Paragon hard disk manager suite and Cobian back up are some of the examples of software programs which can be installed on your computer to perform a complete system back up. Some software’s are free where as the others require a paid subscription.
If you are a windows 10 user, then you have two different backup programs, File history, and windows backup and restore option. The file history tool automatically saves multiple versions of a given file and restores it before it is deleted.
Easy transfer feature
The easy transfer feature available on your windows helps you to transfer your data to a different computer.
- Go to the start and type windows easy transfer in the start search box.
- Now click the windows easy transfer option from the program list that appears.
Try launching the Backup and restore application in windows 7 to take a back up of your data.
System Image back up for windows 8.1 or windows 10
- If you are a windows 8.1 or windows 10 user, you can use a system image back up option.
- Go to the control panel by right clicking the start button.
- The next step is to click on the File history and then system image back up the link in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Now connect an external USB hard drive with enough space.
- A backup wizard opens now and you will be prompted to choose options to save the backup.
- Click on the next option and start the backup process by selecting the Start back up option.
Windows 8 back up feature.
The backup feature of windows 8 is known as File history. Once you have set up your file history, the windows will save the copy of your files to your libraries or desktop folders on a regular basis.